DAY 1 | Feb. 11. Depart Gateway City
DAY 2 | Feb. 12. Arrive in Europe / Depart for Cape Town, South Africa
DAY 3 | Feb. 13. Arrive Cape Town
DAY 4 | Feb. 14. Cape Town
Sheltered by Table Mountain, South Africa’s Mother City is one of the world’s most beautiful cities. Centuries-old Cape Dutch houses and colorful gardens dot the cityscape. A bustling waterfront welcomes visitors with inviting cafés and boutiques set amid workaday harbor life. To the south, the Atlantic seaboard gives way to a scenic coastline with dramatic views.
DAY 5 | Feb. 15. Cape Town
DAY 6 | Feb. 16. Cape Town / Rovos Rail / Matjiesfontein
Your train leaves Cape Town for Pretoria. Leave behind the mountains and the verdant vineyards of the Western Cape as you make your way to the Karoo, the semidesert plateau that encompasses much of South Africa’s interior. Early this evening, arrive at Matjiesfontein, a spa town founded in the 1890 by Englishman James D. Logan, who re-created a bit of Victorian London in rural South Africa.
DAY 7 | Feb. 17. Rovos Rail / Kimberley
This morning, awake to the scenery of the Northern Cape province. Arrive in Kimberley in the afternoon and set out on a guided tour. The 1866 discovery of a diamond on a farm near Hopetown set off South Africa’s great diamond rush. See the Big Hole, the former diamond mine that once was thought to be the largest hole excavated by hand.
DAY 8 | Feb. 18. Rovos Rail / Pretoria / Thornybush Game Reserve
Arrive late this morning in Pretoria. Transfer by deluxe motorcoach to Thornybush Game Reserve.
DAY 9 | Feb. 19. Thornybush
Located near world-renowned Kruger National Park, the reserve offers incredible wildlife encounters in the most game-rich area in the country. During each game drive, ride in an open-top Land Rover with stadium seating while knowledgeable and seasoned rangers and trackers share their knowledge of the flora and fauna. Scan the savannah for the famous Big Five and the many other animals that live here. Chances are you will also see many of the 507 bird species and the 114 reptile species that reside within Thornybush’s 28,417 acres of lowveld.
DAY 10 | Feb. 20. Thornybush
DAY 11 | Feb. 21. Thornybush / Johannesburg
DAY 12 | Feb, 22. Johannesburg / Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
If tranquil Cape Town is the country’s oldest and most genteel city, Johannesburg is its rambunctious little brother. In 1886, the discovery of a huge lode of gold triggered a gold rush. Today, Joburg is the country’s financial center, and many people come here to enjoy the fast-paced lifestyle.
DAY 13 | Feb. 23. Victoria Falls
Until the 19th century, the Zambezi River’s great cascade was called Mosi-oa-Tunya, “the smoke that thunders,” by the region’s Kololo tribe. “Discovered” on November 16, 1855, by Dr. David Livingstone and renamed for England’s queen, Victoria Falls is the planet’s largest curtain of water—spanning more than a mile—as it crashes some 328 feet into the raging Batoka Gorge below. Twice the height of Niagara Falls, mighty Victoria Falls casts a veil of spray that at times can be seen up to 50 miles away!
DAY 14 | Feb. 24. Victoria Falls / Transfer, flight to Johannesburg, South Africa / Depart for Gateway City
DAY 15 | Feb. 25. Arrive in North America
Discover the glamour and romance of the golden age of train travel, a bygone era, during a two-night rail journey from Cape Town to Pretoria aboard the luxurious Rovos Rail. The Pride of Africa offers an unforgettable experience. Ride in splendid vintage carriages, painstakingly restored to mint condition and impeccably appointed. The late Victorian and Edwardian décor includes handsome wood paneling and elegantly decorated suites.
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town
Surrounded by beautiful gardens with a view of Table Mountain, the Mount Nelson Hotel has charmed celebrities, statesmen and other travelers for more than a century. A short stroll from the city center, the “Nellie” combines impeccably appointed rooms with world-class service. The Mount Nelson’s famous afternoon tea is a mustdo for both locals and travelers alike. WiFi is available for your convenience.
54 On Bath, Johannesburg
54 on Bath is a stylish boutique hotel. Set in the trendy suburb of Rosebank, 54 on Bath is just steps from restaurants, shops and more. Enjoy a swim in the outdoor pool. Guests also have
access to a nearby fitness center. Revel in the small touches that make your stay extra special: complimentary shuttle service; use of hotel iPads; and an espresso machine in each room. WiFi is available for your convenience.
Thornybush Game Lodge, Thornybush Nature Reserve
Thornybush Game Lodge and Nature Reserve offer luxurious accommodations and unrivaled big-game viewing. Amenities include a full spa and a swimming pool. Indulge in full English breakfasts and gourmet cuisine infused with local flavor. Air-conditioned suites are styled in rich natural textures and each features an outdoor shower and a private deck. Internet access is available in the library for your convenience.
Victoria Falls Hotel, Victoria Falls
The Victoria Falls Hotel has a spectacular location beside Victoria Falls. Built in 1904 to house railway workers, “The Grand Old Lady of the Falls” features ambiance and world-class service and tropical gardens. On the terraces overlooking Victoria Falls Bridge, guests can feel the spray from the falls below. WiFi is available for your convenience.
Pricing: From $6,995
Cape Town, South Africa
- Three nights at the deluxe Mount Nelson Hotel.
- See the highlights of Cape Town, including the Robben Island prison that held Nelson Mandela and other anti-apartheid activists.
- Take a cable car to the top of Table Mountain, (weather permitting).
- Take a scenic drive along the Cape Peninsula with a funicular ascent at Cape Point.
- Visit the African Penguin colony at Boulders Beach.
- Attend a lecture about South African culture and history.
- Mingle with your fellow travelers at a Welcome Reception.
- Two nights aboard the deluxe Rovos Rail train from Cape Town to Pretoria.
- Visit Matjiesfontein, a perfectly preserved Victorian town in the heart of the Karoo.
- Discover the history of Kimberley at the Mine Museum and the Big Hole.
Thornybush Nature Reserve
- Three nights at Thornybush Game Lodge, a luxury safari lodge.
- Spend your mornings and afternoons on guided game drives. Morning and evening refreshments are included during each game drive.
- Attend a Thornybush Farewell Party.
- One night at 54 on Bath, a deluxe hotel in Johannesburg.
- Tour Soweto. Visit a youth center and take part in a tree-planting ceremony.
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Two nights at the landmark Victoria Falls Hotel.
- Visit Victoria Falls National Park and discover the power of Victoria Falls.
- The train ride, all deluxe motor coach transfers and the two flights (Hoedspruit, South Africa, to Johannesburg and Johannesburg to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe) in the Land Program itinerary and baggage handling on these transfers are included.
- Enjoy 11 breakfasts, seven lunches and six dinners; tea or coffee with all meals, plus wine with dinner.